When you’re dealing with uncertainty, it’s easy to become paralyzed and find yourself waiting and worrying about what to do and what’s next. American inventor Thomas Edison addressed this perfectly when he said, “Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits.” Here’s how to keep yourself focused and moving forward even when the future is unclear.
- Identify the Worst Case Scenario: You could be experiencing anxiety because you don’t know what’s going to happen. Instead of giving this feeling power, define it. What’s the worst that can happen? What’s the second worst thing that can happen? When you define the fear, it’s much easier to face it. Try physically writing it down.
- Identify An Action Plan for the Worst Case Scenarios: Now that you know the worst that can happen, identify your contingency plan. If your worst case scenario is losing your job, maybe your contingency plan is starting a part-time job or side hustle. Maybe you get your resume and LinkedIn ready and start keeping your eyes and ears open for opportunities. By making a plan, you take control of the uncertainty. It might never happen, but if it does, you’re ready.
- Make Time for Self-Care: When things are uncertain, the stress of that uncertainty can interrupt our normal routine. We get in a holding pattern, sitting and waiting for something to happen. You may have to force yourself, but it’s important to keep doing things you enjoy. Maybe it’s hiking, working out, running, yoga or meditation. Maybe you love to craft or be creative. Maybe you love getting your nails done. You may not feel like doing it, but after you do, you’ll thank yourself.
- Find the Silver Lining: When you look back at this time, what will you be thankful for? If you’re home, you’re getting more time with your family, the ability to spring clean like a boss or time to do those hobbies you’re usually too busy to enjoy. If you’re uncertain about a next step at work, you may end up on a different path that gives you opportunities that you wouldn’t have otherwise. While it’s stressful, it can be a blessing in disguise when things aren’t quite settled. Find your blessing and write it down with this worksheet!
- Do Something Positive: How can you move forward in a small way? It might be starting a hobby you’ve always wanted to start, finishing a small craft project, organizing a space in your home. It’s important to have small wins that give you the satisfaction of completing a task and making progress. Small wins go a long way to improving your psyche.
Life can hold uncertainty, but with these steps, you can take control of how you manage through that time and thrive on the other side. How are you implementing these strategies? We’d love to hear in the comments!